Re: Paul List

From: Theodore H Mann (
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 15:21:57 EST

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 14:17:23 +0000 Jonathan Ryder <>

>Differing opinions/requests suggest possibility of two lists, one for
scholars etc only and one a la BGreek for all (with scholars contributing
as in BGreek).

I wonder, though, if it is too much to expect scholars to contribute to a
separate "a la B-Greek" list. It seems natural to me that they would
gravitate toward the more scholarly list, and be less and less inclined
to deal with issues, on a different list, beneath their level of
expertise, leaving the blind pretty much to lead the blind. I'm not
suggesting any deliberate ill-favor on the part of scholars toward
novices. But having two separate lists would, I think, naturally tend
toward an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" attitude.

>However, one list, effectively monitored, I suspect is most practical
and least discriminatory.

Yes, I think so. If it is practicable, I favor a careful scrutiny of
submissions, so as to cull out those comments and questions that are
inappropriate. On the other hand, there is no reason I can think of why
qualified scholars should have to respond to simple-minded or
sectarian-directed queries. I have made a few submissions to B-Greek to
which no one responded. My assumption has been that either they were
dumb questions, or that they were simply of no interest to anyone. The
main problem, as I see it, is the likelihood that improper debates would
break out between novices. This would have to be carefully monitored.

Theodore "Ted" Mann

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]