Rev 11:15 hH BASILEIA / hAI BASILEIAI

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 13:48:05 EDT

Johnathan Robie wrote:

JR>The 1550 Textus Receptus apparently has hAI BASILEIAI. My UBS 3rd lists
no variants that support that reading, and reads hH BASILEIA instead.
Metzger's Textual commentary does not discuss the verse, so I assume that
support for the plural reading is not strong. Does anybody know what that
support is?>

Hodges and Farstad ("The Greek New Testament According to the Majority
Text," Nelson 1985) give a citation of TR (Textus Receptus) and Me (that
is, M superscript e) for the plural reading BASILEIAI. They identify Me as
follows:

"Md and Me are subgroups of the family of manuscripts associated with the
commentary of Andrew, bishop of Caesarea, in Cappadocia. The life and work
of Andrew are usually assigned to the late sixth and early seventh
centuries. This may well be too late, but in any event the text-form which
Andrew used is much older." (op cit pg. xxxvi)

Bill Barton