Re: ARSENOKOITHS/ARRENOKOITHS

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 22:31:29 EST

<x-charset iso-8859-1>At 07:49 AM 3/7/00 -0600, Steven Craig Miller wrote:
>SCC: << "Male-bedder," as in one who beds males, would be more like it. >>
>
>Here is my question, which I've wondered about. Is it theoretically
>possible that the form (or the ending of) ARSENOKOITAI could be feminine?
>If so, could you cite some similar examples?

My Greek's not good enough to opine on what is "theoretically possible"
without an attested example, but Smyth 839 a. states that the suffix
TA: (nom. -THS) is masculine. If there was a feminine form, I guess it
would be something like ARSENOKOITRIA. Compare POIHTHS with POIHTRIA
and MAQHTHS with MAQHTRIS or MAQHTRIA.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com