Heb 12:1 THN EUPERISTATON hAMARTIAN

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 14:16:24 EST

Greetings B-Greekers,

In Heb. 12:1 we read Paul's message to "lay aside every weight, and the
sin which doth so easily beset us" -- OGKON APOQEMANOI PANTA KAI THN
EUPERISTATON hAMARTIAN

My theological bias leads me to want to understand THN EUPERISTATON
hAMARTIAN to mean that the audience is to lay aside "sin (which
ensnares)", and not a directive or appeal to lay aside "the [individual]
sins [plural]". However, if my preferred reading were correct, would not
the text simply read KAI EUPERISTATON hAMARTIAN -- omitting the article?

Thanks for your consideration (and have a great weekend!),

David

D. W. Roe
Rheinland/Pfalz, Germany