Re: Ok, what about grape juice (not OINOS)

From: B. Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.com.au)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 13:51:00 EDT

<x-flowed>At 12:20 AM 000613 +0000, Eric S. Weiss wrote:
>Being a good Jew (though some would say my belief in Jesus no longer
>allows me to use that appellation), I have long maintained (perhaps tongue
>in cheek) that the reason Peter and James and John fell asleep in the
>Garden of Gethsemane was because of the ALCOHOLIC wine they drank during
>the "last supper." It was a tradition that one was supposed to drink all
>the cups at the Passover seder, to get "giddy," in fact, for joy at the
>celebration of the Exodus. Now, this rabbinical injunction may have
>post-dated Jesus's time, and I believe J. Jeremias makes the case in THE
>EUCHARISTIC WORDS OF JESUS that Jesus abstained from both food and drink
>during the "last supper," so "perhaps" Jesus didn't let alcohol touch His
>lips that night (but if He NEVER drank, why would He be accused of being a
>"wine-drinker" - Luke 7:34?), but I do not doubt that my guess as to why
>the disciples slept has some merit.

I was most interested in this comment. I have heard opposing views put as
to whether or not alcoholic wine was part of the observance of the Passover
in Jesus's time. Eric, you appear confident that this in fact was the case.
Can you please tell us what the evidence for this is?

Regards,

Ward

                                 http://www.eagles.bbs.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA. Director, Tyndale College