- Carrboro Farmersâ€™ Market – Sat 7am-12pm through Dec 22; Wed 3:30-6:30pm through Oct 17. 932-1641, carrborofarmersmarket.com
- Southern Village Farmersâ€™ Market – Thu 4-7pm through Aug 30 at Market Street on the Village Green.
- Hillsborough Farmersâ€™ Market – Wed 3-6pm; Sat 7:30am-noon, Apr-Nov. 732-8315.
- Fearrington Village Farmersâ€™ Market – Tue 4pm through Nov 20. 8 miles south of Chapel Hill on US 15-501, Fearrington Village, Chapel Hill. 542-4000, chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms/fearrington.html
- Pittsboro Farmersâ€™ Market – Thu 3:30-6:30pm through Nov 29. Chatham County Fairgrounds, Pittsboro. chatham.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms/pittsboro.html
- Saxapahaw Farmersâ€™ Market – Sat 5-8pm through Aug 25. On the hill over the river, Saxapahaw, Chapel Hill. rivermillvillage.com
Fundraisers & Benefits
- Summertime Used Book Sale – The Carrboro Cybraryâ€™s summertime book sale continues until Aug 21. Help us promote Cybrary services to Orange County and pick up a great Mystery read at the same time! Call 918-7387 or email email@example.com for more info.
- Cookout – Come out and support Internationalist Books. Thu, Aug 23, 6pm. Weaver Street Market, 101 E Weaver St, Carrboro. 929-0010, weaverstreetmarket.com
- Karen Knitters & Weavers – The Karen ethnic group from the mountains of Burma is known for their intricate woven bags, sarongs, scarves & wedding attire. Come watch them work. Sat, Aug 18, 10am. The ArtsCenter, 300-G E Main St, Carrboro. 929-2787, artscenterlive.org
- Dancing Drums – Percussionist Beverly Botsford presents an interactive program of rhythm & world culture through music, story & dance. Mon, Aug 20, 2-2:45pm. 2nd session at 4pm. Pre-registration required. Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Dr, Chapel Hill. 968-2777, chapelhillpubliclibrary.org
- â€œEntertainment Adventuresâ€ will feature the American Wildlife Refuge on Sunday, August 19th at 3:00 pm. Bianca the Eagle; Adonis the barn owl and other live large birds will take part in a very informative and fun session. Free at the Carrboro Branch Library, 900 Old Fayetteville Road. (McDougle Schoolsâ€™ Media Center)Call 969-3006 for more information
- Zoom In: Science at the Extremes – Morehead Planetariumâ€™s 1st-ever interactive visitor experience highlights the big & small of our universe. Designed for ages 8-13. Ongoing. Morehead Planetarium, 250 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill. Info hotline 549-6863, office 962-1236, tickets 843-7997, moreheadplanetarium.org
- Fishing for Kids – Tie knots, cast a line, catch a fish! Ages 5-15. Sat, Aug 18, 9am-1pm. Occoneechee Mountain, Hillsborough. 383-1686, ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/ocmo/home.html
- Storytime Science â€“ Ages 4, 5 & 6 + parents. Gather around the â€œcampfireâ€ at Morehead Planetarium & Science Center as we read some of our favorite science-focused childrenâ€™s books; hands-on activity to follow. Sat, Aug 18, 10:30am. $5; members $4. Registration required, call 962-1236 or visit moreheadplanetarium.org for more info.
- Teen Music Club â€“ New discussion group for teens who love music. 6th grade & up. Thu, Aug 23, 7-8pm. Chapel Hill Public Library Conference Room (downstairs). 968-2777
- Inside Art: The World Inside the Frame – Works that let children & families explore art from inside the frame. Through Aug 26. Kidzu Childrenâ€™s Museum, 105 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill. Tue-Sat 10am-5pm, Sun 1-5pm. $4 ages 2+; memberships available. 933-1455, kidzuchildrensmuseum.org
- Painting for Children Exhibit – Friends of the Pittsboro Memorial Library Gallery present â€œPainting for Children.â€ A celebration of play, whimsy, laughter & fun as seen through the eyes of North Carolinaâ€™s talented childrenâ€™s book authors and illustrators. Through the end of the month. Reeves Gallery, Pittsboro Memorial Library. 158 West St, Pittsboro. 542-3524, pittsborolibraryfriends.org
- Weaver Street Market – Jazz & more! Summertime fun for all ages. Sunday brunch, every Sunday 11am-1pm; Thursday nights, every Thurs 6-8pm. On the lawn at Weaver Street Market, Carrboro.
- Dragonfly Hike – Sat, Aug 18, 10am. Occoneechee Mountain, Hillsborough. 383-1686, ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/ocmo/home.html
- Sunset Hike â€“ Enjoy the beauty of nature and a summer sunset. Sunday, Aug 19, 7:30pm. Occoneechee Mountain, Hillsborough. 383-1686, ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/ocmo/home.html
- Coker Arboretum Tours – Meet at the stone gathering circle near the center of the arbor for a guided tour of the century-old Arboretum. 3rd Sat of every month, 11am. Free. UNC Campus: Coker Arboretum, Cameron Ave, Chapel Hill. 962-0522, www.ncbg.unc.edu/coker.htm
- Club Nova Thrift Shop – Club Nova promotes & provides opportunities for individuals living with mental illness. Pick up a volunteer packet at the shop or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Club Nova Thrift Shop, 103-C W Main St, Carrboro. 967-6985, www.clubnova.org
- Fascism: How far towards it has the USA gone under Bush-Cheney? – Tue, Aug 21, 2:30pm. michael_pollock at yahoo.com. Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Dr, Chapel Hill. 968-2777, chapelhillpubliclibrary.org
- Yoga in the Galleries – Tue, Aug 21, 12-1pm. Ackland Art Museum, UNC Campus, 101 S Columbia St, Chapel Hill. Office 966-5736, recorded info 843-1611, www.ackland.org. Wed-Sat 10am-5pm (2nd Fridays until 9pm), Sun 1-5pm. Free.
- Skyscrapers – Mini-exhibition presenting a variety of interpretations of this modern icon. Through Sept 14. Free. Ackland Art Museum, UNC Campus, Chapel Hill. Wed-Sat 10am-5pm (2nd Fridays until 9pm), Sun 1-5pm. www.ackland.org
- Giant Puppet Show – A Shoe For Your Foot. Live performance featuring handmade masks, stilts, cardboard creations & shadows. Outdoors, set to live music. Great fun for all ages. Bring something soft for your butt! 7pm through Sept 3; pre-show starts at 6:20. $10; kids 4-12 $7; 3 & under Free. UNC Campus: Forest Theater, 300 S Boundary St, Chapel Hill. www.paperhand.org
- How I Got That Story – An â€œembeddedâ€ war reporter tries to get a handle on a culture he doesnâ€™t know while covering a conflict he doesnâ€™t understand. Aug 23-Sept 15. Deep Dish Theater, University Mall. 201 S Estes Dr, Chapel Hill. 968-1515, www.deepdishtheater.org
- InDecision Theatre Improv – Sat, Aug 18, 8pm. The ArtsCenter, 300-G E Main St, Carrboro. 929-2787, www.artscenterlive.org
- Open Mic – 4th Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30pm. The Cave, 452 1/2 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill. 968-9308, www.caverntavern.com
- CageMatch – Competitive long-form improv with all the drama of pro wrestling! The audience votes & the winning team returns to face a new challenger. 2nd & 4th Thursdays of every month. $8; college students free. DSI Comedy Theater, 200 N Greensboro St, Ste B-11, Carr Mill Mall, Carrboro. 338-8150, www.dsicomedytheater.com
- Contra Dance â€“ Fri, Aug 17, 7-11:30pm at the Carrboro Century Center. Lesson first, then the dance. Sponsored by the Carolina Song & Dance Association, www.csda-dance.org. $7. For more info, contact Buz Lloyd at email@example.com or call the Century Center at 918-7385.
- Tango â€“ Fri, Aug 17, 8pm. Join the Triangle Tango Society for free tango lessons. Open Eye CafÃ©, 101 S Greensboro St, Carrboro. 968-9410, www.openeyecafe.com
- Universal Peace – Sufi; no experience necessary. 3rd Saturdays, 7:30-9:30pm, $5. 361-2383. Unity Center of Peace, 8800 Seawell School Rd, Chapel Hill. 968-1854.
- Salsa/Mambo â€“ 3rd Sat of every month. Lesson at 8pm, dance 8:30-11pm. $7. Fred Astaire Dance Studio, 4702 Garrett Rd, Durham (Hillsborough). 358-4201, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free Style â€“ Carrboro Dance Jam. Eclectic music with DJ Rovnitsky. 1st and 3rd Fridays of every month, 7:30-10:30pm. $5-8. 698-8776. Balanced Movement Studio, 304 W Weaver St, Carrboro. 942-0240, www.balanced-movement.com
- Ballroom Dancing – 4th & 5th Thursdays of every month, 7-9:30pm, $2. 933-8982. Chapel Hill Senior Center, 400 S Elliott Rd, Chapel Hill. 968-2070.
- Contact Improvisation – Improvised contact with 1 or more dancers, no partner necessary. Beginners welcome. Sundays, 2-4pm. $5. 967-5321, carolinacontact.ods.org. Balanced Movement Studio, 304 W Weaver St, Carrboro. 942-0240, www.balanced-movement.com
- Contemporary Fiction Club – Meets monthly to discuss recent works of fiction. New members always welcome. For more info, call the Cybrary at 918-7387 or email email@example.com. Next meeting: Mon, Aug 20 at 7pm. Join us in our discussion of The No. 1 Ladiesâ€™ Detective Agency series.
Literary Readings/Open Mic
- Maggi Grace – State of the Heart: A Medical Touristâ€™s True Story of Lifesaving Surgery in India. Fri, Aug 17, 7-9pm. Market Street Books & Maps, Southern Village. 610 Market St, Chapel Hill. 933-5111, www.marketstreetbooks.com
- Open Mic – For poetry, music & short fiction. Tuesdays, 7pm, Market Street Books & Maps, Southern Village. 610 Market St, Chapel Hill. 933-5111, www.marketstreetbooks.com
- Story Time at the Carrboro Branch Library will present: â€œLets Get Wetâ€ Saturday, August 18th at 10:30 a.m. The library is located at the McDougle Schoolsâ€™ Media Center; 900 Old Fayetteville Road. Call 969-3006 for more information.