Lighthouses of the United States: Nebraska
The U.S. state of Nebraska is in the center of the country, far from the coasts. The Missouri River, flowing along the eastern border of Nebraska, is the only major navigable waterway touching the state. The Coast Guard maintains lights on the river, but as far as I know none of them qualify as lighthouses. The lighthouses on this page were built privately.
Among lighthouse fans Nebraska is best known for two historic faux lighthouses, Lake Minatare and Linoma Beach.
Note: to be listed in the Directory, a lighthouse must actually serve as an aid to navigation.
This means it must be located on a navigable lake or river and must be
lit as a navigational aid at least during the local boating season.
Special thanks to Ron Schooling for sharing his research on the lighthouses of Nebraska.
- Lake McConaughy Lighthouse
- * The Dunes
- 2002. Active; focal plane unknown; continuous white light. 35 ft (11 m) round stone lighthouse with lantern and gallery. The tower is unpainted; lantern pained black. A small gazebo is adjacent to the lighthouse. A photo by Lori Parsons is at right and Bing has a satellite view. Lake McConaughy is a large reservoir formed by damming the North Platte River in Keith County, north of Ogallala in western Nebraska. The lake is 22 mi (35 km) long and roughly 4 mi (6.5 km) wide over much of its length. The lighthouse is atop a bluff on the south side of the lake, about midway along its length. Located off Meadow Lane near the entrance to the Dunes at Lake McConaughy development. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: The Dunes at Lake McConaughy.
- * Glenn Cunningham Lake (relocated)
- 1990s (relocated here in 2009). Active; focal plane 34 ft (10.5 m); continuous white light. 22 ft (7 m) round steel tower with lantern, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Terry Schmidt has a photo, another photo is available, and Google has a satellite view. This lighthouse was first installed in downtown Omaha on the Lewis and Clark Riverwalk. Later removed from that location, it was stored for several years before being reinstalled as part of a reconstruction of Glenn Cunningham Park. Located at the marina, at the southeastern corner of the park, on the north side of Omaha. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Omaha (Glenn Cunningham Lake).
The Dunes Light, Lake McConaughy, February 2007
Flickr photo copyright Lori Parsons; used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
- Harmon Park (1940), Kearney. The lighthouse was added to the Rock Garden built in 1937 by the Works Project Administration. A history of the park is available, and Google has a street view, but trees hide the lighthouse in Google's satellite view.
- Lake Minatare (1939), north of Scottsbluff in far western Nebraska, is a historic observation tower; it has never had a light. Barbara Morgan has a good closeup photo, Rachel Kulik has a 2017 photo, and Google has a satellite view. The 55 ft (17 m) round unpainted stone tower was built by the Veterans Conservation Corps.
- Linoma Beach (1939), beside US 6 at the Platte River, halfway between Lincoln and Omaha, Nebraska, has never been an aid to navigation. Wikipedia has an article with a photo, a 2010 photo is available, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The 100 ft (30.5 m) octagonal concrete lighthouse was built as part of a privately owned resort. It was restored in 2013.
Adjoining pages: East: Iowa | Southeast: Missouri | South: Kansas
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index | Ratings key
Posted July 31, 2013.
Checked and revised August 14, 2019. Lighthouses: 2. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.