Lighthouses of the United States: South Carolina
The U.S. state of South Carolina has a relatively short and straight
coastline facing southeast on the Atlantic Ocean, with Charleston as the
principal harbor. Lighthouses survive at eight historic light stations
in the state. Developers have restored two of the historic towers and
also built several facsimile lighthouses. There is no statewide preservation
group, and for the past two decades preservation efforts have been focused
on the critically endangered Morris Island Light. Several other lighthouses
need attention, including Georgetown, Hunting Island, and especially Cape
Navigational aids in the United States are operated by the U.S. Coast Guard, but ownership (and sometimes operation) of historic lighthouses has been transferred to local authorities and preservation organizations in many cases. All of South Carolina's lighthouses are now in National Park Service, State
of South Carolina, or private ownership. The Coast Guard continues
to operate lights at only two of them, Georgetown and Sullivan's Island. South Carolina lights are the responsibility of the Coast Guard Sector Charleston and its Aids to Navigation Teams based at Charleston and Georgetown.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights; Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals; USCG numbers are from
Vol. III of the U.S. Coast Guard Light List.
- General Sources
- Excellent photos, travel directions, and accounts by Kraig Anderson.
Bum's Lighthouses: South Carolina
- This site by Stephen Wilmoth has accounts and photos of visits
to most of the lighthouses.
- Online List
of Lights - South Carolina
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas. The South Carolina
collection features photos of Charleston Harbor lights by Michael Boucher.
- Lighthouses in South Carolina
- Photos (mostly historic photos) available from Wikimedia.
in South Carolina, United States
- Aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
USA auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
- NOAA Nautical Chart On-Line Viewer: Mid Atlantic
- Nautical charts for the coast can be viewed online.
- U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center: Light Lists
- The USCG Light List can be downloaded in pdf format.
1857 Cape Romain Light, August 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by scpetrel
- Horry County Lighthouse
- * Governors
- 1985. Active (privately maintained and unofficial); focal plane about 60 ft (18 m); continuous white light.
Approx. 60 ft (18 m) octagonal tower, painted with black and white horizontal
bands. Andy Barth has a good photo,
a nice view is available, Marinas.com has aerial
and Google has a street view and a satellite
view. The lighthouse was built by a developer in honor of South Carolina's
governors. Located on the north side of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway in the Cedar Creek Village development, just
off US 17 in Little River. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager:
Georgetown County Lighthouse
(North Island) (2)
- 1867 (extensively rebuilt 1812 lighthouse; station established
1801). Active; focal plane 85 ft (26 m); two white flashes every
15 s. 87 ft (27 m) round old-style
tower with lantern and gallery, painted white; solar-powered VRB-25
aerobeacon. The 5th order Fresnel
lens used prior to 1999 was formerly on display at the Georgetown Coast
Guard Station; later it was moved to the museum of the Coast Guard's 7th District headquarters in Miami, and in July 2014 it was put on display on a long-term loan to the South Carolina Maritime Museum in downtown Georgetown. The 1-story brick keeper's house, brick oilhouse
(1890), and boathouse (1894) are also preserved. Bonnie Courchesne's photo
is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, Tim Vo has a photo, Wilmoth also has a nice photo,
the Coast Guard has a historic photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, the Maritime Museum has a page on the history of the light station, and Google has a satellite view. This is a rare early federal lighthouse, sturdily built with a stone stairway inside the tower.
It was altered somewhat after being damaged during the Civil War; its height
was raised from 72 to 87 ft (22 to 27 m). The light station
was leased to the State of South Carolina in 1988 as part of a juvenile detention
and rehabilitation center, but plans for this center were
abandoned in 1990. In 2001 the light station was transferred
to the state's Department of Natural Resources, which already
owned the rest of the island as the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Preserve.
So far the state does not appear to have a long-term plan for restoration and maintenance of the buildings. Located on North Island facing Winyah Bay, about 1 mi (1.6
km) north of the entrance to the bay and 25 km (15 mi) southeast
of Georgetown. Accessible only by boat; cruises
out of Georgetown visit the light station. Owner: S.C.
Dept. of Natural Resources. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center Heritage Preserve. ARLHS USA-323; Admiralty
J2582; USCG 3-0120.
Georgetown Light, North Island, June 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Bonnie Courchesne (no longer online)
Charleston County Lighthouses
- 1827 (Winslow Lewis). Inactive since 1858; charted as a landmark. Ruined 65 ft (20 m) round old-style
brick tower, no lantern. This lighthouse is gravely endangered by isolation and neglect. The lower third of the rare wooden spiral
stairway has disappeared. A photo is at right, Wilmoth has photos from
a 2004 visit, and Google has a satellite view. It is amazing that this lighthouse has stood after being abandoned more than 160 years. Both Cape Romain lighthouses are on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. Located close to the 1858 lighthouse (next entry).
Site open, tower closed. Owner: U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service. Site manager: Cape
Romain National Wildlife Refuge. ARLHS USA-134.
- 1858. Inactive since 1947; charted as a landmark. 150 ft (46 m) octagonal brick tower with
lantern and galley. The upper half of the tower is painted with vertical
black and white stripes, but the lower half is all white. The keeper's
house was demolished in the late 1950s. A photo
is at the top of this page, Anderson has an excellent page for
the lighthouse, James McIlrath has a 2017 closeup and a view of both lighthouses, the Coast Guard has a historic photo taken in 1893, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite view. This historic lighthouse is gravely endangered by isolation
and neglect. The tower has a long-standing lean of several degrees
due to a faulty foundation. The lighthouse was painted and the windows
were replaced in the early 1990s, but the rusting stairway is very
dangerous. Lighthouse Digest has Wilmoth's account and photos
of a 2001
visit, and both Cape Romain lighthouses are on the Digest Doomsday List. In 2011 Tommy Graham, a contractor in McClellanville, carried out some emergency repairs to hold the lantern atop the tower. In 2014 Graham was working to replace the rusted stairs with wood steps: not historically accurate but much safer. Located on Lighthouse Island (also called Raccoon Key) southeast
of McClellanville and about 1.2 km (3/4 mi) northwest of the actual
point of the cape. Accessible only by boat, and there is no dock, so
visitors must wade ashore. Tours are
offered four times each year (reservations required; places are limited so book well in advance). Site open,
tower closed. Owner: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Site
manager: Cape Romain National
Wildlife Refuge. ARLHS USA-133.
1827 Cape Romain Light, August 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by scpetrel
- * Charleston
(Sullivan's Island, New Charleston)
- 1962. Active; focal plane 163 ft (50 m); two quick white flashes,
separated by 5 s, every 30 s. 140 ft (43 m) aluminum (steel-framed)
trapezoidal tower with overhanging lantern, top half black, lower half
white; DCB-24 aerobeacon. The station has a historic coastal warning display tower. A photo by Henry de Saussure Copeland is at right, Mark Scott has a fine photo,
Trabas has a photo,
Wikimedia has several photos, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, the Coast Guard has a 1964 photo of
the new lighthouse, the local tourist office has a good web page for the lighthouse, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is the last lighthouse built by the federal government
and the only U.S. lighthouse with an elevator and air conditioning.
It was designed by a young architect named Jack Graham, who was serving
in the Coast Guard to complete his required military service. In May
2008 the Coast Guard agreed to transfer ownership of the lighthouse
to the National Park Service, which already owned the Sullivan's Island
Lifesaving Station next door. The formal transfer was made at a ceremony on
November 8. The two stations comprise the U.S. Coast Guard Historic District. The Park Service is organizing a friends group to support
restoration of the building and it hopes to open the tower eventually
to the public. The 50th anniversary of the lighthouse was celebrated in June 2012. The light failed in November 2018 and the Coast Guard decided to replace the old optical system with new equipment. Located on I'on Avenue off SC 703 in Sullivan's Island.
Site open (free), tower closed (the base is occasionally opened); group
tours can be arranged. Owner: U.S. National Park Service. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Fort
Sumter National Monument (Charleston Light - Sullivan's Island). ARLHS USA-825; Admiralty J2646; USCG
Sumter Range Rear (2?)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 170 ft (52 m); white light, 3 s on, 3
s off; a continuous white light is shown in the daytime; also a passing
light with a white flash every 6 s exhibited at a focal plane of 50 ft (15
m). 170 ft (52 m) triangular skeletal tower with gallery, mounted on a square
platform supported by four piles. Structure painted white. Trabas has Boucher's photo,
and Google has a satellite
view. The front
light is much shorter. This range guides vessels in the Charleston Entrance Channel. A lighthouse built at Fort Sumter in 1855 was destroyed by a hurricane in 1893.When it was rebuilt, it became the front light of a range, and the rear light was placed on the steeple of St. Philip's Church (next entry). In 1915 the rear light was removed and the range was discontinued. It's not known when the present range was established. The rear light now stands almost exactly on the site
of the historic Fort
Ripley Shoal Light, a cottage screwpile lighthouse built in 1878 and
dismantled in 1932. Located in Charleston Harbor about 1.7 mi (2.75 km)
east of the southern tip of the city waterfront and 1.4 mi (2.25 km) northwest
of Fort Sumter. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site
manager: U.S. Coast Guard. Admiralty J2648.1; USCG 3-2390.
Charleston Light, Sullivan's Island, May 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Henry de Saussure Copeland
- * [Bennis Reach Range Rear]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 71 ft (22 m); continuous red light. Approx. 12 ft (3.5 m) square skeletal tower, painted black. Trabas has Boucher's photo and Google has a satellite view. This beacon blocks two spaces on the top level of the South Carolina Aquarium Parking Deck in downtown Charleston. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J2666.91; USCG 3-2506.
- * St.
Philip's Church (Fort Sumter Range Rear (1))
- 1893 (church built 1838). Inactive since 1915; charted as a landmark. Light formerly mounted in the steeple
of St. Philip's Episcopal Church. Sarah Williams has a 2007 photo,
Huelse has a historic postcard view of the church with its light in action, and Google has a street view and a satellite
view. The church, one of the best known landmarks of old Charleston,
was built in the 1830s, but the steeple wasn't added until the
late 1840s. It carried the rear light of the Fort Sumter Range, and in fact the steeple is still in line with the range. Only one other U.S.
church, the First Baptist Church of Beverly, Massachusetts, has
been used as a lighthouse. Located at 146 Church Street in Charleston.
Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: St.
Philip's Church. ARLHS USA-1163.
- Morris Island (Old Charleston)
- 1876 (Peter Hains) (station established 1767). Inactive since 1962 (a decorative flashing white light is sometimes displayed); charted as a landmark.
161 ft (49 m) round brick tower, originally painted with horizontal
red and white bands, but the red has weathered to brown. The keeper's
house was destroyed in 1939. Incredibly, the original 1st order Fresnel
lens was sold at auction in 1938 and dismantled for resale to collectors;
the top of the lens has been recovered and is on display at the visitor
center at Hunting Island Light. Corey Seeman's photo is at right, Anderson has an excellent page for
the lighthouse, a December 2014 photo is available, Anne Swoboda has a photo,
Tom Check has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, the Coast Guard has an 1893 historic photo showing the keeper's house, and Google has a satellite
view. This is the second oldest light station in the Southern U.S., established in 1767. The tower has been gravely endangered
since rapid beach erosion left it standing in the open Atlantic
northeast of Folly Beach. (In recent years sand eroding off nearby beaches has settled near the lighthouse, possibly providing some protection.) The lighthouse was a charter member of
Digest Doomsday List. Fund raising for preservation was kicked off in 1999 by a $500,000
appropriation from the South Carolina legislature. Preservationists
formed Save the Light,
in 1999. Kim McDermott's 1999 Lighthouse
described the history of the lighthouse and start of the preservation
effort. In 2000 the South Carolina Natural Resources Board bought
the lighthouse from its private owners for $1 and then leased it to Save the Light
for preservation. In 2001 an engineering study called for stabilization
of the existing foundation. In 2003 International Chimney Corporation
completed a plan for complete restoration. After several frustrating
bureaucratic delays work finally began in June 2007. The
first phase, stabilizing the foundation with an external cofferdam,
was completed by Taylor Brothers Marine in March 2008.
In 2010 Palmetto Gunite Construction was awarded a $1.9 million
contract to build 68 concrete pilings to replace the original
wood pilings under the lighthouse. State legislators passed special legislation to speed approval of the project so that it could be completed before the fall hurricane season. About $5 million has been spent on these stabilization projects and funds are now being raised to restore the interior and exterior of the tower. Decorative LED lights were installed in the lantern and first lit in October 2016. In 2001 Charleston County purchased the 5.5 acre (2 ha) site of the former Folly Beach Lifesaving
Station overlooking the lighthouse; this land is now the Lighthouse Inlet Heritage Preserve. Located off the east end of Folly Beach and the southern tip of Morris Island. There's
a good view from the preserve (limited parking is available at the end of Ashley Avenue; it's a 1/4 mile (400 m) walk to the beach opposite the lighthouse), and boat tours are available from Folly
Beach. Site and tower closed. Owner: State of South Carolina. Site
the Light, Inc. ARLHS USA-515.
Morris Island Light, Folly Beach, November 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Corey Seeman
Beaufort County Lighthouses
- **** Hunting
- 1875 (station established 1859). Reactivated (inactive 1933-1995, now maintained by the state of South Carolina);
focal plane 132 ft (40 m); continuous white light with a more intense
flash every 30 s. 136 ft (41 m) round cast iron tower, upper third
painted black, lower 2/3 white. The keeper's house was destroyed by fire in 1938,
but the oil house and two storage buildings survive. The upper portion
of Morris Island Light's 1st order Fresnel
lens is on display in the base of the tower and the nearby
state park visitor center has historical displays. A photo is
at right, Trabas has an excellent photo by Michael Boucher, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, the Coast Guard has an 1885 historic photo showing the keeper's house, Raymond Czaplewski has a fine street view, and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse replaced an 1859 tower destroyed during
the Civil War. Fears of beach erosion caused the lighthouse
to be relocated 1.3 miles (2.2 km) inland in 1889. Rapid beach
erosion in the area continues and is threatening the lighthouse
again; in September 2014 the Friends of Hunting Island State Park warned that erosion could reach the lighthouse in 5-10 years. The tower was last renovated in 1991. In May
2003 the lighthouse was closed after a broken step was discovered;
it reopened in February 2005 after $108,000 in repairs. Wilmoth
has posted photos
taken at the time of the reopening. In 2019 engineers recommended a complete restoration of the lighthouse, estimated to cost $3 million; funds will be requested from the legislatrure in 2020. Pending restoration tours of the lighthouse are limited to six visitors. Located near the north end of Hunting Island at the end of US highway 21. Site open (state
park entry fee); parking provided; tower open for climbing daily year round except Christmas Day. Owner/operator: South Carolina State
Island State Park). ARLHS USA-392; Admiralty J2744.5; USCG
Island Range Rear]
- 1881. Inactive since about 1912. The rear light was on a 131 ft
(40 m) triangular pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower. The tower
was demolished long ago, along with the keeper's house and the 45
ft (13.5 m) wooden front light. The brick oil house remains and
after its rediscovery the Marine Corps spent $50,000 to restore
the little building in 2005. Trees conceal the building in Google's satellite view. Anderson has a historic
drawing of the lighthouse and a second drawing of the front
light, a 14 m (45 ft) square wooden skeletal tower with lantern
and gallery. The rear light was similar to the 1902 Baker
Range Rear Light in Delaware. Located near the south end of
the island within the Parris Island marine base. Site closed.
Owner: U.S. Marine Corps. Site manager: U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island. ARLHS USA-1195.
Hunting Island Light, Hunting Island, October 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by scpetrel
- * Hilton
Head Range Rear (Leamington)
- 1881. Inactive since 1932 (a decorative sodium vapor light is now displayed).
94 ft (29 m) hexagonal pyramidal cast iron skeletal tower with an octagonal wood lantern, gallery, and central cylinder, painted white. The brick
oil house (1892) remains, but the two keeper's houses have been relocated
to Harbour Town, where one serves as a café and the other as a real
estate office. Jake Walker has a photo,
and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse has a unique design. The tower was restored
by the Palmetto Dunes developer in 1985. Unfortunately, nothing has been done to maintain the lighthouse since 1985. It is in increasingly poor condition and should now be considered endangered. Recent photos show the poor condition of the lantern. In October 2010 area residents considered organizing a support group, and the owner expressed interest in contributing, but nothing seems to have come from these efforts. Located on the Arthur Hills Golf Course at Palmetto Dunes
on Hilton Head Island. Site open by appointment (call ahead), tower
closed. Owner: Greenwood Communities and Resorts. Site manager: Palmetto
Dunes Resort. ARLHS USA-972.
- *** Harbour
- 1970. Active (privately maintained); focal plane 90 ft (27 m);
white flash every 30 s. 93 ft (28 m) octagonal cylindrical stucco
tower, painted with horizontal red and white bands; acrylic lens.
Pat Dye's photo is at right, Jeffrey LeFors has a street view, and Google has a satellite
view. Built by developer Charles Fraser, the lighthouse is well
known as the symbol of Sea Pines Plantation on Hilton Head Island.
The lighthouse stands across a marina entrance from the 18th green on the Harbour
Town Golf Links, and every April it appears prominently on
U.S. television when the Heritage
Golf Classic is played on that course. In 2000-01 a $200,000
renovation added air conditioning, improved lighting, and additional
historical displays. In 2009 the original lighting equipment
was replaced with a solar-powered lens. The light originally displayed a white flash every 2.5 s but it was dropped from the USCG list in 2010 due to its limited navigational value. It was restored to the list in 2017 with the current pattern of one flash every 30 s. The exterior of the tower was restored and repainted in the fall of 2016. In 2018 the red stripes were covered with a plaid design in honor of the 50th anniversary of the golf tournament. This design proved to be popular so it was retained through the 2019 edition of the tournament. Located at the end of
Lighthouse Road, on the north side of the marina entrance off
Calibogue Sound, overlooking the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.
Site and tower open daily year round (small entry fee for tower).
Owner/operator/site manager: Harbour Town Lighthouse Museum. ARLHS USA-1135; Admiralty J2765.7; USCG 3-4395.
Point (Daufuskie Island) (Range Rear)
- 1872. Reactivated (inactive 1924-1987, now privately maintained);
focal plane 47 ft (14 m); white flash every 14 s. 2-1/2 story Victorian
wood keeper's house surmounted by a square cylindrical wood tower,
painted white; acrylic lens. Carol Highsmith's photo is below, Island Explorer Tours has a 2008 photo,
Jim Harper has a 2009 photo,
Trabas has a view from the water, the Coast Guard has an 1885 historic photo, Cary Wiedman has a closeup street view, and Google has a satellite
view. The small front range light has been demolished. The dilapidated lighthouse
was first restored in 1965-67 by George H. Bostwick. When
International Paper Realty bought all of the area in 1984,
the company carried out an archaeological study and then carefully
restored the building to its original appearance. In 2019 it became available for overnight accommodations. In recent years, beach erosion has removed most of the bluff in front of the lighthouse; in 2012 Haig Point property owners contributed $700,000 to armor the bluff with granite boulders. Trees surround the lighthouse on three sides but it visible as a leading light for southbound vessels. Located on the northeast point of Daufuskie
Island opposite the Harbour Town Light, overlooking the Atlantic
Intracoastal Waterway. Visible at a distance from Harbour Town
Light. Accessible by guided
tours from Harbour Town. Site and tower closed. Owner/site
Haig Point Community. ARLHS
USA-217; Admiralty J2766; USCG 3-4370.
Harbour Town Light, Hilton Head, January 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Pat Dye
- ** Bloody
Point (Daufuskie Island) Range Front (1)
- 1883. Inactive since 1899. 1-1/2 story wood keeper's house; the
light was displayed from a dormer window on the upper story. Currently
the house is painted white. A lamp house (very rare)
and the oil house are also preserved. Duncan Watt has a 2016 photo, another page has photos taken in 2008, and Google has a satellite view. The lighthouse was relocated inland in 1899 and a lantern was added to it to serve as the rear light. The range was deactivated in
1922 and the lantern was removed. For many years the house was a private residence; owner Joe Yocius wrote
a 2001 feature
article on the lighthouse for Lighthouse Digest. Yocius placed the lighthouse for sale for $875,000 in April 2009. In 2015 it was purchased by Wick Scurry, owner of Calibogue Cruises. Scurry renovated the house and opened it in 2016 as a gift shop and museum, one of the stops on his guided tours from Hilton Head.
Located at the southern end of Daufuskie Island near the sixth
tee of the Bloody Point golf course. Site open; house open daily. Owner/site manager: Bloody Point Lighthouse and Museum. ARLHS USA-1003.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
- Bay Point (1863-1869), Hilton Head Island. There is no longer a light on the point.
- Bloody Point (Daufuskie Island) Range Rear (1883-1899), Daufuskie Island. Anderson discusses this light on his Bloody Point Front Range page. The original rear tower was a 91 ft (28 m) skeletal tower similar to the one at Parris Island. It was dismantled in 1899, when the original front lighthouse was relocated and became the rear light.
Bay (1852-1912), northeast end of Bull Island, between Cape Romain and Charleston. The location of this lighthouse is now underwater, and there is no longer a light on Bull Island. ARLHS USA-1168.
Pinckney (1855-1938), on Castle Pinckney in Charleston Harbor. Three lighthouses occupied this location, which also served as a lighthouse depot from 1890 to 1917. The third lighthouse was deactivated in 1917 and demolished in 1938. There's no light here today. ARLHS USA-1002.
- Combahee Bank (1868-1876), St. Helena Sound. Nothing remains of the cottage screwpile lighthouse on the bank. Trabas has a distant photo of the modern light, mounted on a tripod dolphin. ARLHS USA-1162; Admiralty J2740; USCG 3-4040.
- Fort Ripley Shoal (1878-1932), Charleston Harbor. The historic cottage screwpile lighthouse was demolished, but the location is occupied now by the Fort Sumter Range Rear Light (see above). ARLHS USA-298.
- Fort Sumter (Range Front)
(1857-1950s), on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. The first lighthouse was destroyed during the Civil War. A temporary beacon after the war was replaced by a square cast iron tower; that lighthouse was destroyed by a hurricane in 1893. The fourth lighthouse was a skeletal tower. Trabas has a photo of the modern light, which is about 400 yd (365 m) southeast of the fort. ARLHS USA-299; Admiralty J2648; USCG 3-2385.
Point Range Front (1872-1924), Daufuskie Island. Anderson discusses this light on his Haig Point page. The location of the front light is now underwater. ARLHS USA-216.
Head Range Front (1881-1932?), Hilton Head Island. Anderson discusses this light on his Hilton Head Range page. The range was discontinued in 1932 and nothing remains of the front lighthouse. ARLHS USA-971.
- Morris Island Range Front and Rear (1871-1898?). Anderson discusses these light on his Morris Island page and has historic photos. The lights were listed as late as 1898 but are missing from the 1899 light list. Nothing remains of them.
Island Range Front (1878-1912), southwest tip of Parris Island. Anderson discusses this light on his Parris Island page. The location of the front light has been lost to beach erosion. ARLHS
Island Range Lights (1848-early 1900s), on and near Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. These lights have disappeared completely. ARLHS USA-826 (front) and 827 (rear).
- Venus Point Range Lights (1884-1905), north side of the entrance to the Savannah River. The range was discontinued and the lights removed.
Haig Point Light, Daufuskie Island, undated
Library of Congress public domain photo from the Carol M. Highsmith Archive
Adjoining pages: North: North Carolina | South:
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted 2000. Checked and updated June 30, 2019. Lighthouses:
13. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett
and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.