Lighthouses of the United States: Northeastern Wisconsin

Located in the western Great Lakes region, the U.S. state of Wisconsin has two coastlines. One coastline faces north on Lake Superior and includes the Apostle Islands stretching out into the lake. The other coastline faces east on Lake Michigan. Green Bay, a branch of Lake Michigan, is separated from the main part of the lake by the scenic Door Peninsula. This page includes lighthouses of the Green Bay and Door Peninsula coastlines. Lighthouses of the Lake Superior coastline are described on the Northern Wisconsin page, and lighthouses of Lake Winnebago and the Lake Michigan coast south of the Door Peninsula are described on the Southeastern Wisconsin page.

There is no state lighthouse preservation society in Wisconsin but many local lighthouse societies are active.

Aids to navigation in eastern Wisconsin are maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan based in Milwaukee, but ownership (and sometimes operation) of historic lighthouses has been transferred to local authorities and preservation organizations in many cases.

ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS World List of Lights. USCG numbers are from volume 7 of the U.S. Coast Guard List of Lights.

General Sources
Seeing the Lights - Wisconsin
This site by Terry Pepper has fine photos, extensive historical accounts, and current information on nearly all of the lighthouses.
Wisconsin Lighthouses
Part of Kraig Anderson's LighthouseFriends.com site; includes photos and brief accounts for nearly all the lighthouses.
Lighthouses of the Great Lakes
Maintained by Neil Schultheiss, this site has good photos and short accounts for many of the state's lighthouses.
Wisconsin, United States Lighthouses
Excellent aerial photos posted by Marinas.com.
Lake Michigan Lighthouses
Excellent photos by C.W. Bash.
Lighthouses in Wisconsin
Photos by various photographers available from Wikimedia.
Wisconsin Attractions: Lighthouses and Lighthouse Tours
Tourist information posted by Wisconsin Online.
The Lighthouse People - Wisconsin
Photos of all the state's lighthouses by Bob and Sandra Shanklin.
Leuchttürme USA auf historischen Postkarten
Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
NOAA Nautical Chart On-Line Viewer: Great Lakes
Nautical charts for the coast can be viewed online.
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center: Light Lists
The USCG Light List can be downloaded in pdf format.


Eagle Bluff Light, Fish Creek, May 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Richie Diesterheft

Algoma Pierhead Light, Algoma, May 2016
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Peter Ciro

Green Bay Lighthouses

Note: Green Bay is a large embayment on the northwestern shore of Lake Michigan, separated from the main part of the lake by Wisconsin's Door Peninsula and a series of islands.

Marinette County Lighthouses
[Green Island (1)]
1863. Inactive since 1956. Ruins of a 2-story stone keeper's house; the light tower has collapsed. Anderson's page has photos, the Shanklins have an aerial photo of the site, and Bing has a satellite view of the ruins. The building was vacated when the lighthouse was automated in 1933. It deteriorated steadily, and the Coast Guard moved the light to a skeletal tower in 1956. The lighthouse was later burned by vandals. It was on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List for a number of years but it has been dropped because of the advanced state of the ruins. In 2011 development plans were approved for a resort and vacation homes on the island; the developers also planned to rebuild the lighthouse. These plans came to nought and by 2017 the island was back on sale. Located on an island in Green Bay about 9 miles (15 km) southeast of Marinette. Accessible only by boat. Owner, site status and site manager unknown. ARLHS USA-945.
Green Island (2)
1956 (station established 1863). Active; focal plane 80 ft; white flash every 6 s. 65 ft (20 m) square pyramidal steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. Pepper has a photo by Larry Bell, ARLHS has Paul Schumacher's view from the bay, and Bing has a satellite view. Located about 300 ft (90 m) southeast of the ruins of the historic lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1347; USCG 7-21970.
Peshtigo Reef
1936 (lightship station established 1906). Active; focal plane 72 ft (22 m); white flash every 6 s. 72 ft (22 m) round steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a concrete crib. Lighthouse painted white with a single broad red band; lantern is black. Fog horn (blast every 30 s) when needed. Anderson has a page with good photos, Kenny Sallee's photo is at right, ARLHS has a photo by C.W. Bash, and Shanklins also have a photo, but the light is barely visible in Bing's distant satellite view. Sibling of the Green Bay Harbor Entrance Light (next entry). Keepers from Sherwood Point Light originally maintained the lighthouse. The Coast Guard has a photo of Lightship 77 Peshtigo on station in 1932. Located about 3 miles (5 km) off Peshtigo Point southeast of Peshtigo. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-951; USCG 7-21990.
Peshtigo Reef Light
Peshtigo Reef Light, Green Bay, June 2010
ex-Panoramio photo copyright Kenny Sallee; used by permission

Brown County (Green Bay City Area) Lighthouses
Green Bay Harbor Entrance
1935. Active; focal plane 72 ft (22 m); red light occulting every 4s. Round cylindrical steel tower rising from circular steel workroom, mounted on concrete caisson; the small lantern is topped by a short radio mast. Lighthouse painted white, lantern red. Fog horn (blast every 15 s) on demand. Wikipedia has a photo by Chris Rand, and ARLHS has Paul Schumacher's photo, but the light is barely visible in Bing's distant satellite view. Located about 9 mi (15 km) northeast of Green Bay harbor. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-352; USCG 7-22130.
Long Tail Point (1)
1849. Inactive since 1859. Ruined 65 ft (20 m) round stone tower. A 2015 closeup photo is available and Google has a satellite view. Obviously endangered, the tower is a permanent resident on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. The lighthouse was replaced in 1859 by a square tower attached to a 2-story keeper's house; Anderson has a photo of that lighthouse. In 1899 a 2-story keeper's house with a lantern atop the roof was build on a square crib just off the tip of the point. The Green Bay Yachting Club has photos of the 1899 lighthouse, which was destroyed by a storm in 1973. Google has a satellite view of the modern light (focal plane 35 ft (11 m); red flash every 2.5 s); it is on a cylindrical D9 tower on a circular crib about 250 yd (230 m) off the tip of the point. The keeper's house was sold in 1936, but it collapsed during the effort to relocate it. Located near the end of the point, which projects into the bay north of the city of Green Bay. Accessible only by boat (the point does not connect to the mainland), and the lighthouse site is hard to reach through dense vegetation. Owner: Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources. Site manager: Long Tail Point State Wildlife Area. ARLHS USA-452. Active light: USCG 7-22205.
Green Bay Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 89 ft (27 m); green light occulting once every 4 s; also a passing light, focal plane 20 ft (6 m), yellow flash every 4 s. 27 m (89 ft) round cylindrical white tower, mounted on a concrete pier and carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located off Long Tail Point about 4 mi (6.5 km) north northeast of the Green Bay waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-22185.
Green Bay Inner Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 50 ft (15 m); green light, 3 s on, 3 s off; also a passing light, same focal plane, yellow flash every 4 s. 50 ft (15 m) round cylindrical white tower, mounted on a concrete pier and carrying a rectangular daymark painted red with a white vertical stripe. No photo available but Google has a satellite view. Located in the mouth of Dead Horse Bay about 4 mi (6.5 km) north of the Green Bay waterfront. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-22220.
* Grassy Island Range Front
1872. Inactive since 1966 (a decorative light is often displayed). 26 ft (8 m) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim, lantern roof red. C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page with good photos, and Google has a street view and a satellite view of the two lighthouses. These lighthouses were originally located on a pier adjacent to a small island at the entrance to Green Bay harbor; the Coast Guard has a 1914 photo of the light station and Huelse has a historic postcard view of the front light. Members of the Green Bay Yachting Club saved the towers from demolition in 1966, relocating them to the grounds of the club on the east side of the mouth of the Fox River in Green Bay. The club began restoring the front range light in 2000 and the rear light in 2003; a ceremony in November 2005 marked the end of the restoration projects. In 2018 the lighthouses received a $2.6 million bequest from the estates of David and Rita Nelson. This allowed needed repair of the foundations of the towers; they were moved in the fall of 2018 and returned after the repairs were completed in June 2019. The club has a web site for the lighthouses. Located upstream from the end of Bay Beach Road, off the I-43 freeway in downtown Green Bay. There are good views from the municipal boat launching ramp. Site open, towers closed. Owner/site manager: Green Bay Yachting Club. ARLHS USA-334.
* Grassy Island Range Rear
1872. Inactive since 1966 (a decorative light is often displayed). 36 ft (11 m) square pyramidal wood tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white with red trim, lantern roof red. This is the lighthouse at the left in C.M. Hanchey's photo is at right. See previous entry for historical information. Located upstream from the end of Bay Beach Road, off the I-43 freeway in downtown Green Bay. There are good views from the municipal boat launching ramp. Site open, towers closed. Owner/site manager: Green Bay Yachting Club. ARLHS USA-339.
Grassy Island Range Lights
Grassy Island Range Rear (left) and Front Lights, Green Bay, August 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.M. Hanchey

Western Door County Lighthouses
Sherwood Point
1883. Active; focal plane 61 ft (18.5 m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 37 ft (11 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached church-style to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. The 4th order Fresnel lens (1892) was removed in October 2002 for display in a replica lantern at the Door County Maritime Museum. Tower painted white with black trim; lantern and keeper's house roofs painted red. Square pyramidal wood bell tower (bell removed). The keeper's house is used as a vacation cottage for Coast Guard personnel. Christopher Franklin's photo is at right, Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse, Jason Massey has a 2018 photo, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This lighthouse marks the western entrance to Sturgeon Bay and the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. Automated in 1983, this was the last staffed station on the U.S. Great Lakes. Located on the west side of the entrance to Sturgeon Bay near the end of county road M. Site and tower normally closed; open during the Door County Lighthouse Festival in June. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-754; USCG 7-22000.
* [Dunlap Reef Range Rear]
1881. Inactive since 1924. 2-story wood keeper's house, formerly with a square cylindrical wood light tower mounted on the roof. The lighthouse was originally built on a limestone and timber crib about 1/2 mile north of the Michigan Street bridge in downtown Sturgeon Bay. The house, with the tower removed, was relocated in 1925 to 411 South Fourth Avenue in the town of Sturgeon Bay, where it has been used as a private residence ever since. Lighthouse Digest has the history of the lighthouse, Google has a street view, and Bing has a satellite view. The reef is now marked by a post light (focal plane 31 ft (10 m); green flash every 4 s; USCG 7-21160). Site closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-937.

Sherwood Point Light, Sturgeon Bay, September 2009
Flickr photo copyright Christopher Franklin; used by permission
* Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Range Rear
Date unknown. Active; focal plane 46 ft (14 m); continuous white light. 40 ft (12.5 m) square skeletal tower carrying a daymark colored red with a white vertical stripe. Google has a street view and Bing has a satellite view. The range guides vessels eastbound toward the west entrance of the canal. Located on Canal Road about 2 mi (3.2 km) southeast of Sturgeon Bay. Site open, tower closed. USCG 7-21070.
* Chambers Island (1)
1868. Inactive since 1961. 67 ft (20 m) round cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. Lower half of the tower is square and upper half octagonal. The lantern has been removed. Tina Tschida's photo is at right, Anderson has a page with good photos, Mary McEnerney has a 2017 closeup photo, the Coast Guard has a photo taken about 1950, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station. The building is occupied by resident caretakers, who are working to restore the lighthouse and establish a small museum. Chambers Island is a substantial island about 2.5 mi (4 km) in diameter located near the centerline of Green Bay. Most of the island is privately owned. Transportation to the island is available from Fish Creek. Located at the end of Baseline Road on the northwestern side of the island, about 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Fish Creek. Site open, lighthouse open in season when the caretaker is present; also open during the Door County Lighthouse Festival in May and other guided tours arranged by the Door County Maritime Museum. Owner/site manager: Town of Gibraltar (Chambers Island Park). ARLHS USA-150.
* Chambers Island (2)
1961. Active; focal plane 97 ft (30 m); white flash every 6 s. 67 ft (20 m) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower with gallery, painted black. Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located adjacent to the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1419; USCG 7-21895.

Chambers Island Light, Gibraltar, October 2017
Google Maps photo by Tina Tschida
**** Eagle Bluff
1868. Active; focal plane 75 ft (23 m); white flash every 6 s. 43 ft (13 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. 5th order Fresnel lens (1918) mounted in the lantern, but the active light is a solar-powered 300 mm lens mounted on the gallery. Buildings unpainted brick; roofs red. Similar to Chambers Island Light, except all of the tower is square. The building is a maritime museum operated by the Door County Historical Society. Richie Diesterheft's photo is at the top of this page, Pepper has a fine page with historical information, Rebecca Kurzendoerfer has a good 2019 photo, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, Damien Jourdan has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The Coast Guard restored the lighthouse in 1960-63. On October 16, 2003, a ceremony transferred ownership of the light station to the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. The roof of the building was replaced in 2014. Located on Shore Drive at the western entrance to Eagle Harbor, about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of Ephraim. Site open (park entry fee), museum and tower open mid May to mid October (admission fee, and there is also a state park entry fee). Owner: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (Peninsula State Park). Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Eagle Bluff Lighthouse Museum . ARLHS USA-252; USCG 7-21825.

Rock Island and Porte des Morts Passage Lighthouses

Note: These lights guide ships entering or leaving Green Bay. Washington Island, approximately 5 miles (8 km) wide by 6 miles (10 km) long, is located off the tip of the Door Peninsula. The island has a population of about 650 and is accessible by auto ferry from Northport. Most ships use the Rock Island Passage on the north side of Washington Island. Some use the infamous Porte des Morts (Death's Door) Passage between the island and the mainland, the scene of many nineteenth century shipwrecks.

Northern Door County (Washington Island Area) Lighthouses
Boyer Bluff (2)
Date unknown (station established 1933). Active; focal plane 220 ft (67 m); white flash every 6 s. 80 ft (24 m) triangular cylindrical steel skeletal tower. Andy Bach has a view from the lake and Google has a satellite view. This is the highest navigational aid on the U.S. Great Lakes. The present tower replaced a square pyramidal skeletal tower. Located on Boyer Bluff at the northwestern corner of Washington Island. Site status unknown. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1312; USCG 7-21770.
*** Pottawatomie (Rock Island) (1)
1858. Inactive since 1989. 41 ft (12.5 m) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story limestone keeper's house. The lantern was removed in 1988 when the light was moved to a nearby steel skeletal tower but it was restored in 1998. The building is unpainted stone with a red roof; the lantern is painted black. A photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page with good photos, Mervin Busby has a good photo, Tony Hodges has posted additional photos, Gary Dierks has a 2018 street view, and Google has a satellite view. This is Wisconsin's oldest active lighthouse. The Friends of Rock Island State Park work for restoration of the lighthouse. The building has been restored to its appearance about 1910; in 2003 the Friends were using grant funds to furnish the lighthouse with period furniture. During the summer volunteer docents spend a week in the lighthouse and provide tours. An acrylic replica of the original 4th order Fresnel lens has been installed. The Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station and extensive historical information is available on the Friends of Rock Island web site. Located on Rock Island off the extreme northeastern end of the Door Peninsula. The island is accessible from late May to mid October by passenger ferry from Washington Island, which is accessible by auto ferry from Northport. The lighthouse is accessible by a 2-mile (3 km) hike from the ferry landing; a map is available. Site open, lighthouse open to tours daily from Memorial Day weekend (late May) through Columbus Day weekend (mid October). Owner: Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources. Site manager: Rock Island State Park (Pottawatomie Lighthouse). ARLHS USA-664.
Pottawatomie (Rock Island) (2)
1988 (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 159 ft; white flash every 4 s. Approx. 65 ft (20 m) square cylindrical steel skeletal tower. Anderson has a photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located a few feet west of the historic lighthouse. Site open, tower closed. Owner/operator: U.S. Coast Guard. USCG 7-21425.
[Porte des Morts (Plum Island)]
1846. Inactive since 1858. Foundation ruins of this stone lighthouse remain visible near the Plum Island Range Rear Light. Pepper has a photo. When it was active the station was called, in very bad French, Port du Morts. It was replaced by the Pilot Island light (see below). ARLHS USA-1068.

Pottawatomie Light, Rock Island, June 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ben and Clare
Plum Island Range Rear
1897. Active; focal plane 80 ft (24 m); continuous red light, day and night. 65 ft (20 m) square pyramidal skeletal tower with central cylinder, lantern and double gallery; original 4th order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red. The tower also carries a rectangular daymark, painted red with a white vertical stripe. Sibling of Coney Island Light, NY. The 2-story brick keeper's house is abandoned and deteriorating. The front range light (similar to the Bailey's Harbor Range Front Light) was replaced in 1964 by a skeletal tower (focal plane 41 ft; red light, 3 s on, 3 s off). Anderson has an excellent page with several photos, Lighthouse Digest has an October 2003 feature on the Pilot Island and Plum Island Lights, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's house and Coast Guard station were listed among Wisconsin's 10 most endangered historic properties in April 2000. The island had become a national wildlife refuge and the Door County Maritime Museum agreed with U.S. Fish and Wildlife to assume responsibility for the light station. A major stumbling block was old fuel spills on the island; in 2004 the Coast Guard completed an $863,000 project to clean these up. However, as delay has piled on delay the Museum backed away from its earlier commitment, and Fish and Wildlife worked with the Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands on a management plan. In October 2007 ownership was finally transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service. The island is now open for limited public access. The roof of the keeper's house was replaced in the fall of 2017. In 2018 workers installed cables to bring electricity from the mainland through Plum Island to Washington Island. Work in 2019 included window restoration and lead paint removal. Lighthouse located on the southwest side of the island across the Porte des Morts (Death's Door) Passage from Northport; visible from the Northport-Washington Island ferry. Accessible only by boat. Shoreline Resort, at Ellison Bay, offers sightseeing cruises that pass the site. Site open only from Memorial Day weekend (late May) through Labor Day weekend (early September), keeper's house and tower generally closed; guided tours are available during the spring and fall Door County Lighthouse Festivals. Owner/site manager: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Green Bay National Wildlife Reserve). ARLHS USA-608; USCG 7-21310.

Plum Island Range Rear Light, Plum Island, June 2008
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Dan (no longer online)
Pilot Island (Porte des Morts Island)
1858. Active; focal plane 48 ft (14.5 m); 2 white flashes every 6 s. 41 ft (12.5 m) square cylindrical brick tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story brick keeper's house; solar-powered 300 mm lens. Building is unpainted stone; lantern is painted black. Enlarged in 1904, the building was originally very similar to the Pottawatomie Light. The 1-1/2 story brick fog signal building (1904) is unroofed and in ruins. Anderson's page has several views from the lake, Joe Suchy has a photo, Lighthouse Digest has an October 2003 feature on Pilot Island and Plum Island Lights, the Door County Maritime Museum has the history of the station, Jake Heffernan has a 2018 street view, and Google has a satellite view. Endangered. The site is currently abandoned, overgrown, and overrun by a large population of cormorants; the lighthouse is on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. Jack Eckert, a former crew member at the light station, has posted his memoir of life there in 1955. In October 2007 ownership was finally transferred to the Fish and Wildlife Service. Volunteers from the Friends of Pilot and Plum Islands rushed to carry out emergency repairs to the roof of the lighthouse before the onset of winter weather. Located on a tiny island in the Porte des Morts (Death's Door) Passage between Washington Island and the mainland of the peninsula. The island is closed to the public, but the lighthouse is visible (distantly) from the Northport-Washington Island ferry. Site and tower closed (island is closed to the public). Owner/site manager: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Green Bay National Wildlife Reserve). ARLHS USA-600; USCG 7-21325.

Lake Michigan Lighthouses

Eastern Door County Lighthouses
**** Cana Island
1870. Active; focal plane 89 ft (27 m); continuous white light. 81 ft (24.5 m) round tower with lantern and gallery, built of brick but encased in steel since 1902, attached to a 1-1/2 story brick keeper's house. The original 3rd order Fresnel lens is still in use. Lighthouse is white; lantern roof is black. The keeper's house is a museum staffed by the Door County Maritime Museum. C.W. Bash's photo is at right, Anderson has a fine page for the lighthouse, Stephen Conn has a good photo, Taylor Cole Miller has a street view, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Google has a satellite view. In November 2004 the Bureau of Land Management announced that Door County would receive ownership of the island as a park, and the transfer was completed in 2007. In 2012-13 the museum raised $2.6 million for a major restoration of the lighthouse. This work began with exterior restoration in the fall of 2014 and was complete by 2016. In the fall of 2018 planning was underway for an interpretive center, to be funded in large part by a loan of $365,000 from Door County's reserve funds. The loan will be repaid from admission revenue. Located on a tiny island connected by a low causeway to the mainland, at the end of Cana Island Road off county route Q about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Baileys Harbor (watch carefully for small Cana Island signs at intersections). Parking provided. Important note: depending on the wind and the lake level, the causeway to the lighthouse may be covered with water, so visitors should come with waterproof boots. Site open, keeper's house, oil house, and tower open daily mid May to late October (small admission fee). Owner: U.S. Coast Guard. Site manager: Door County Maritime Museum (Cana Island Lighthouse ). ARLHS USA-104; USCG 7-21255.
Baileys Harbor
1853 (Alison Sweet). Inactive since 1869 but charted as a landmark. 52 ft (16 m) round rubblestone tower with a rare birdcage lantern, attached to 1-1/2 story rubblestone keeper's house. Bear Huelman has a good photo, Anderson has a good page with several photos, Schultheiss has posted a photo by Dave Wobser, and Google has a satellite view. The keeper's house, used as a private residence, is in good condition, but the tower is endangered by decay; the lantern is no longer supported and may fall at any time. The lighthouse was added to the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List in June 2001. Located on privately-owned Lighthouse Island; there is a distant view from the end of Ridges Road. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-026.
Cana Island Light
Cana Island Light, Baileys Harbor, June 2004
Flickr Creative Commons photo by C.W. Bash
* Baileys Harbor Range Front (1)
1870. Reactivated (inactive 1969-2015, now privately maintained); continuous red light. 21 ft (6.5 m) octagonal cylindrical wood tower on a square base. Lighthouse painted white, roof black. The Ridges Sanctuary has a page for the two range lighthouses, Bear Huelman has a closeup photo, Anderson has a page with a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This light and the rear range light are siblings of the lights at Presque Isle Range, Michigan (see the Northeastern Lower Peninsula page). A wooden boardwalk joins the front and rear lights. The range was replaced in 1969 by a directional light on a short skeletal mast in front of the historic tower. In 1996 the historic towers were rewired and beacons were installed. In August 2015 the directional light was deactivated and removed and the range lights were placed in official operation as private aids to navigation. Located on Ridges Road on the north side of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. Owner: Door County. Site manager: Ridges Sanctuary (Baileys Harbor Range Lights). ARLHS USA-936; USCG 7-21228.
*** Baileys Harbor Range Rear
1870. Reactivated (inactive 1969-2015, now privately maintained); continuous white light. 35 ft (10.5 m): square cupola-style lantern mounted on the roof of 1-1/2 story wood keepers house. Lighthouse painted white; roofs are red. John Erickson's photo is at right, Jim Frazier has a photo, a September 2007 closeup photo is available, Anderson has a page with a photo, and Google has a satellite view and a street view through trees. When the light was electrified in 1930 the house was leased to the Immanuel Lutheran Church of Baileys Harbor as its parsonage. In 1956 the church gave up its lease and the house was transferred to the Ridges Sanctuary; for many years it provided a residence for the Sanctuary's naturalist. The exterior of the building was restored in 2017 and the interior is being restored and refurnished to its 1923 appearance, when the last keeper was present. Located off Ridges Road on the north side of the harbor. Site open; tours of the house are available daily 11 am through 2 pm, June through mid October. Owner: Door County. Site manager: Ridges Sanctuary (Baileys Harbor Range Lights). ARLHS USA-027; USCG 7-21229.

Range Rear Light, Baileys Harbor, September 2018
Wikimedia Creative Commons photo by John Erickson
* Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead (2)
1903 (station established 1882). Active; focal plane 40 ft (12 m); red flash every 2.5 s. 39 ft (12 m) round cylindrical cast iron tower with lantern and gallery, attached to 1-1/2 story steel fog signal building. The 6th order Fresnel lens (1881) was recently replaced by a modern 300 mm lens. The entire lighthouse is painted bright red. Fog horn (2 blasts every 30 s) on demand. Richie Diesterheft's photo is at right, Anderson has a good page with several photos, Jeff Kuhns has a 2018 photo, Marinas.com has aerial photos, the Door County Maritime Museum has posted the history of the light station, and Google has a satellite view. Matthew Keeney's street view also shows the South Pierhead light, a standard "D9" tower. Built in the 1880s, the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal connects the main part of Lake Michigan to Green Bay, cutting through the narrowest part of the Door Peninsula. The lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA in 2010, and when no qualified recipients were found it went on auction sale in July 2014. It was sold in September for $48,500 to Gordon Krist of Paris, Kentucky. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the canal entrance. Accessible in good weather by walking the pier from the Coast Guard station at the foot of Utah Street. Views from adjacent Portage Park. Site open and tower closed. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-822; USCG 7-21005.
* Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal (Canal Station)
1899 (steel bracing added in 1903). Active; focal plane 107 ft (32.5 m); red flash every 10 s. 98 ft (30 m) round, narrowly cylindrical steel tower with hexagonal pyramidal steel bracing, lantern and gallery; 3rd order Fresnel lens. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. Sibling of Devils Island Light (see the Northern Wisconsin page), but with somewhat different bracing. Two 2-1/2 story wood keeper's house buildings. Active Coast Guard station. A winter closeup and a wider view are available, Anderson has an excellent page for the lighthouse, Marinas.com has aerial photos, the history of the light station has been posted by the Door County Maritime Museum, Huelse has a historic postcard view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. Located at the end of Canal Road on the north side of the canal entrance. Site open, tower usually closed but open during the Door County Lighthouse Festivals in late May and mid October. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-821; USCG 7-20995.

Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Light, Sturgeon Bay, May 2013
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Richie Diesterheft

Kewaunee County Lighthouses
Algoma Pierhead (2)
1908 (rebuilt in 1932; station established 1893). Active; focal plane 48 ft (14.5 m); red light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 42 ft (12.5 m) round cylindrical 2-stage steel tower with lantern and gallery. The entire lighthouse is painted bright red. Fog horn (blast every 10 s) on demand. Peter Ciro's photo is at the top of this page, Anderson has a good page for the lighthouse, a good closeup photo is available, Neal Grosskopf has a 2016 street view, and Google has a satellite view. The upper stage of the lighthouse replaced an 1893 tower in 1908. The lower section was relocated from Muskegon, Michigan, in 1932. After an inferior repainting in 2011 the lighthouse faded within a few weeks to a pale pink; Joe Grant has an August 2013 photo. After numerous complaints the Coast Guard announced in September 2013 it would remove all paint and repaint the tower in a proper red. In May 2014 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA. City officials submitted a proposal for ownership. After two other parties who had expressed interest withdrew, the city was annouced as the new owner. As of October 2019 the transfer of ownership has not yet occurred but was expected soon. In June 2017 the Coast Guard spent nearly $200,000 to replace the tower's foundation and windows and paint the lighthouse and attached catwalk. In December 2017 the Coast Guard announced plans to replace the 5th order Fresnel lens (1895) with a modern LED optic. Replacement of the lens was delayed until June 2019. Following restoration the lens will go on display at the North Point Lighthouse Museum in Milwaukee. Located at the end of the breakwater on the north side of the Ahnapee River entrance, off WI 42 in downtown Algoma. Good view from the foot of Lake Street on the south side of the river. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-004; USCG 7-20975.
* Kewaunee Pierhead (3)
1931 (light added to 1891 fog signal building; station established 1889). Active; focal plane 45 ft (13.5 m); continuous white light. 43 ft (13 m) square cylindrical steel tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on a 2-story steel fog signal building. Lantern room transferred from the 1912 tower. Lighthouse painted white with black trim; lantern roof is red. Fog horn (blast every 30 s) on demand. The diaphone fog signal formerly used here was restored (1995) and relocated to the Duluth South Breakwater Outer Light in Minnesota. A photo is at right, Anderson's page has several photos, Pepper also has a good page, Bear Huelman has a good photo, a 2017 closeup is available, Marinas.com has aerial photos, Bill Pevlor has a closeup street view, and Google has a satellite view. The second (1912) lighthouse was removed in 1931 and installed in 1938 as the Chicago Southeast Guidewall Light (see the Illinois page). In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA and in September 2010 the National Park Service approved the City of Kewaunee's application for ownership. Ownership was transferred in September 2011. The city's page for the lighthouse has many photos. A support group, the Friends of Kewaunee Pierhead Lighthouse , was established, and the lighthouse was restored in a series of projects beginning in 2015. In June 2019 the Coast Guard replaced the original 5th order Fresnel lens (transferred from the 1912 tower) with a modern LED light; after restoration the lens will go on exhibit at the Kewaunee County History Center. Located at the end of the breakwater on the south side of the Kewaunee River Entrance, three blocks east of the WI 29/WI 42 intersection in downtown Kewaunee. Accessible by walking the pier. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: City of Kewaunee. ARLHS USA-1250; USCG 7-20955.
Kewaunee Shoal
2006. Active; focal plane 43 ft (13 m); green flash every 4 s. 43 ft (13 m) round cylindrical D9 tower, white with a green horizontal band, mounted on a large round crib. Anderson has a small photo and C.M. Hanchey has a distant view. Located on a shoal about 2 km (1.25 mi) east southeast of the pierhead lighthouse. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. USCG 7-20950.
Kewaunee Pierhead Light
Open house at Kewaunee Pierhead Light, Kewaunee, June 2011
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Lake Express

Information available on lost lighthouses:

Adjoining pages: North: Eastern Upper Michigan | South: Southeastern Wisconsin

Return to the Lighthouse Directory index

Checked and revised October 12, 2019. Lighthouses: 27. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.