Gal 2:20

From: JDChaplain@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 09:11:02 EDT

Regarding the use of THi in "EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU."

The use of an article in this manner intrigued me. Thought I'd pass along my
thoughts.

Perhaps the first point is that Greek articles are not simply definite
articles. They have demonstrative use as well, often pressing us in English
to use a relative pronoun; e.g., SAULOS, hO KAI PAULOS; "Saul, who is also
[known as] Paul," Act 13:9. Or in more strictly as demonstratives in
MEN...DE constructions as in Gal 4:23 or standing alone as in Gal 5:24
hOI...ESTAURWSAN.

BGD (2nd ed.) showed several possibilities including the above examples. In
the section on hO, hH, TO in paragraph II. 5. the discussion regards the use
of the article with prepositional phrases, though in our passage the article
follows the preposition. In II. 6. the discussion is regarding adverbial
ideas (which a prepositional phrase is or which may refer to the verbal
notion inherent in PISTIS). The discussion in II. 7. is regarding the use of
the article with the genitive when it shows "kinship, ownership, dependence."
 II.7. seems to describe our passage the best. This would yield a
translation something like, "in a faith I live, [which is] [dependent upon]
the Son of God."

I think we can note that the dative use fits well, not just because THi
modifies the object of EN, but rather as the dative concept of THi and the
genitive concept of TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU apply to ZW. Paul may be saying that
he lives in a relationship to a faith that is dative: i.e., it is his by
indirect means. And where does this faith come from? It's of the Son of
God. I think this fits BGD's discussion in II.7. PISTIS is a faith that
Paul has by means of the Son of God. It makes sense then to place THi in its
position as the text reads. It's not that Paul lives in a faith that's about
the Son of God but that he's gained this faith from the Son of God.

Thanks for the opportunity to join in the discussion.

Jim Denley
Virginia Beach, VA